Saturday, March 1, 2014

SilkAir Flight - Singapore to Kota Kinabalu and return

Silk Air is a regional full service airline owned by Singapore Airlines, operating out of Singapore to regional destinations.  This blog post consists of some pictures from a SilkAir flight I took in early 2012, from Singapore to Kota Kinabalu, Sabah and back.

That is our SilkAir plane at the gate, at Changi Airport.

We would be flying on the Airbus A319 today.

This was the light meal (breakfast) served onboard.  It was a morning flight from Singapore Changi to Kota Kinabalu.

An eventful flight.  Landed at Kota Kinabalu International Airport.  Kota Kinabalu is the capital of the state of Sabah, East Malaysia.  The Kinabalu National Park is located about 90km from the city.  We would be climbing Mount Kinabalu on this trip.   Click here to read my blog post on that fantastic climb.

This was my first visit to Kota Kinabalu and I had expected a small airport.  However, I was impressed by a new airport, serving almost 7 million passengers a year.  


Here are some pictures from our flight back, from Kota Kinabalu to Singapore. 



The jam on the other side of the road looked rather serious.



Approaching the airport.

Here was my boarding pass.  It was a 11:00am flight back to Singapore on 15 Feb 2012.

That was the SilkAir aircraft that would bring us home this morning.

I was trying to figure out whether the pilots were already onboard.  The answer was yes.

I think for these short-haul flights, the pilots don't even leave the aircraft.  The flight time was 2hr 20 minutes.

The pilots looked busy.

I must have been taking these pictures from the aero-bridge while walking towards the aircraft door.

And we take off.


I see AirAsia aircraft.

I was told that was the old terminal.  We had used the new terminal complex.  Given that AirAsia was a low-cost carrier, it wasn't surprising that they were still using the old terminal to save costs.

An interesting video shortly after we took off.  Enjoy!

And we are in the sky.

Goodbye Kota Kinabalu!  It was a great trip.

Airbus A319.

That should be the main town of Kota Kinabalu.



Shortly after take-off, a light lunch was served.

This was my lunch.

A rather uneventful flight, which was a good thing.

Approaching Singapore.





Rather cloudy (or was it hazy?)

Should be Tanah Merah Golf Course.

Singapore is a very built up place.


Train (MRT) depot.

Landing was smooth.  Safe Travels!

Interested in a more leisurely way to travel, like a cruise?
Do check out my Celebrity Silhouette Mediterranean & Adriatic Seas Cruise in Nov 2013!

More Flight Reviews:
1)  SQ 322 - Singapore to London Trip Video

2) Changi Airport Terminal 3 SilverKris Lounge Business Class Section Video

3)  SQ 321 London to Singapore Flight Report including SilverKris Lounge at London Heathrow

4) Check out the Big Yella Fella at FlyScoot (Sydney to Singapore)

5) Care for the Austrian Arrow? (Helsinki to Vienna)

6) Evergreen Shanghai to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific.


Swiss Flight Links
a) Singapore to Rome (via Zurich) Economy Class, Nov 2013
b) Rome to Singapore (via Zurich) Economy Class, Dec 2013


1 comment :

  1. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

    ReplyDelete